What does P.S.H.E look like at St Teresa of Lisieux?
- Jigsaw is a PHSE Scheme/approach to Mindfulness. Children benefit by being aware of thoughts and feelings as they happen in present moment
- Mindfulness can be learnt and appropriate techniques and responses developed.
- In Jigsaw scheme Mindfulness developed through `Calm Me` time in lesson.
- Designed as whole school approach-all year groups working on same theme (Puzzle) at same time.
- Starts with Introductory Assembly-whole school focus for children and staff.
- Leads to weekly celebrations. Key theme for each week. Idea is to reinforce learning and see it translated into children`s behaviour. Children and adults can nominate each other by writing name and reason on special celebration sheets left in class/school. These are then rewarded in assembly.
Six Puzzles (Themes)
- Being in my world
- Celebrating difference (including anti-bullying)
- Dreams and goals
- Healthy me
- Changing me (including sex ed)
Each puzzle has six pieces (lessons) which work toward an end product/goal/piece of work etc. Each lesson has two learning intentions:
- Based on specific PHSE learning
- Emotional literacy
- We take turns to speak
- We use kind and positive words
- We listen to each other
- We have the right to pass
- We only use names when giving compliments or being posirtive and encouraging
- We respect each others privacy
Structure of lesson (piece)
Explain and reinforce charter. Warm up activity
Still children`s minds. Relaxing/quieting them/relaxing emotions/peaceful atmosphere
Open my mind
Introduce important aspects of learning intended for each piece
Tell me or show me
Introduce new information/concepts/skills/range od teaching approaches/activities
Let me learn
Children use this information to help it make sense for them
Help me reflect
Children encouraged to reflect on their learning experiences
Praise for effort, summarise etc