What does P.S.H.E look like at St Teresa of Lisieux?
Personal, Social, Health and Economic (PSHE) education helps our pupils develop the knowledge, skills and attributes to stay healthy and safe now and prepare for their futures.
The programme, Jigsaw, holds children at its heart and helps our children understand and value how they fit into and contribute to the world. With strong emphasis on emotional literacy, building resilience and nurturing mental and physical health, Jigsaw 3-11 delivers engaging and relevant PSHE within a whole-school approach. Jigsaw lessons also include mindfulness allowing our children to advance their emotional awareness, concentration, focus and self-regulation.
Jigsaw 3-11 offers a comprehensive programme for Primary PSHE in a spiral, progressive way, giving children relevant learning experiences to help them navigate their world and to develop positive relationships with themselves and others.
- Jigsaw is a PHSE Scheme/approach to Mindfulness. Children benefit by being aware of thoughts and feelings as they happen in present moment
- Mindfulness can be learnt and appropriate techniques and responses developed.
- In Jigsaw scheme Mindfulness developed through `Calm Me` time in lesson.
- Designed as whole school approach-all year groups working on same theme (Puzzle) at same time.
- Starts with Introductory Assembly-whole school focus for children and staff.
- Leads to weekly celebrations. Key theme for each week. Idea is to reinforce learning and see it translated into children`s behaviour. Children and adults can nominate each other by writing name and reason on special celebration sheets left in class/school. These are then rewarded in assembly.
Six Puzzles (Themes)
- Being in my world
- Celebrating difference (including anti-bullying)
- Dreams and goals
- Healthy me
- Changing me (see RSHE)
- We take turns to speak
- We use kind and positive words
- We listen to each other
- We have the right to pass
- We only use names when giving compliments or being positive and encouraging
- We respect each others privacy
Teaching PSHE through the Jigsaw programme will give children the knowledge, understanding, values and skills that they will need in order to reach their potential as individuals and within their wider community. Pupils will be able to take part in a range of activities through and beyond their curriculum. In doing so, they will recognise their own worth and become increasingly aware of their place within the world. They will be able to go on to form effective, fulfilling and safe relationships that are an essential part of their futures. We want pupils to take this ethos through their secondary education and beyond.